Sultans Of Ping Forum Index Sultans Of Ping
New forum for the band Sultans of Ping.
Please register and post so this becomes as popular as the old one.
Hosted by ping.fishtank.org.uk.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Specials
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: The Specials Reply with quote

I'm seeing them for the first time next week.
Anyone seen them before?
public enemy
Stupid Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have and maybe should have seen them in their prime. Great band but I never really liked Terry Hall, he always seemed to give the impression it was all beneath him. I could be wrong, just how it seemed. I'm sure the 30 year reunion shows{kerching}will be good fun but without Jerry Dammers its just WRONG. Music that once meant something becomes all fur coat and no knickers. You expect the likes of spandau ballet to do it, maybe that says it all. Can't all be like the Sultans doing it for love, it certainly can't be for money. I'll just get down of my soap box now.
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that PubE.
I can hardly wait for tonight now!
public enemy
Stupid Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I assumed you'd already been and that anything I said would'nt spoil your sunshiny memories of the event. I've actually got a guilt pang or it could be wind, hopefully it will pass soon. Pretend I never wrote it, enjoy yourself.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved it. It was brilliant.
Terry Hall isn't what you'd expect from a front man I suppose. Could he be shy? Apart from a few football comments (above my head) and having a go at Nick Griffin (one-eyed, fat, holocaust denying bastard or something along those lines) he didn't really speak much. The rest of the band put loads of energy into it and the music was great.

High points -
Monkey Man
Blank Expression
Feeling really, really young in comparison with most of the crowd

Low points-
Being in Liverpool
I'm sorely disappointed they didn't play Nelson Mandela, one of my favourites - maybe if he goes on a reality show like Celebrity Big Brother thye'd be able to play it again.
public enemy
Stupid Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the one eyed fat comments were'nt about Gordon Brown. whats wrong with Liverpool? You must have a vivid imagination to see Mandela in the BB house, Robben island would seem like nirvana.
Deirdre Barlow
Teenage Punk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate's band, The Ripps supported the Specials at Birmingham NEC...she's left the band now but is still an amazing drummer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv70ZW30TNY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_h9-7JwgQo
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre Barlow wrote:
My mate's band, The Ripps supported the Specials at Birmingham NEC...she's left the band now but is still an amazing drummer

I like them very much. They're great.

PE - you might be right but the whole holocaust denial thing makes me think that it probably was Nick Griffin he was talking about.
And the Nelson Mandela thing - I was joking. Get a grip.
public enemy
Stupid Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre Barlow wrote:

They're ok I suppose, best not give up the day job though, are the drummer and one of the guitarists related or just share the same hair dresser.
public enemy
Stupid Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a grip.[/quote]

Me get a grip, is that irony? And whats wrong with Liverpool? I have friends who are scousers{Jim fixed for me} and they're ok.
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, an irony grip. That sounds good. It would suit you.

The Olympia, which is actually a good venue is situated on West Derby Rd in Liverpool:
The very useful Neighbourhood Statistics website gives lots of things wrong with this area. Particularly interesting are the Indices of Deprivation -
http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/NeighbourhoodSummary.do?width=1280&a=7&i=1001&m=0&s=1257455531373&enc=1&profileSearchText=L6+2AF&searchProfiles=

Now I've been looking at this site quite a bit recently to judge areas I might apply for jobs in and I have never seen any where hit the far end of the deprivation scale. I'm impressed. It's top of the pops when it comes to Income Deprivation, Employment Deprivation, Health Deprivation and Education Deprivation. It's also best for crime.
So does that answer your question?

I know there are nice areas of Liverpool, but this is the particular area I was in. The car park we parked in glittered like a frosty diamond, enchanting until you realise that it's smashed windows all over the floor.
public enemy
Stupid Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord, glass on the floor of a pub car park, who'd have thought it. Shocking. Whatever next, Street lamps not working and dog poo on the pavements. What's the country coming to? Although I don't suppose you get that sort of thing in Manchester 90210. If your away overnight and don't sleep well in the hotel that your in, do you check under the matress for a pea? Princess frilly knickers!
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Ha ha. It's about time we had some good old fashioned name calling back on here.
I really did laugh when I read that last comment, attracting the attention of my sister who read this thread and noticed you keep mentioning knickers. I'm not judging. Just saying.
Anyway, I think all this abuse is making me fall in love with you. That's the only explanation I have for hearing music everytime I think of you. In particular this song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS5QMT-JUt4
public enemy
Stupid Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, good old fashioned name calling is ok especially when done with some balance. Like a playful PFK remark compared with the malice aforethought, twat. Thrice knickers to you and your sister. You have to be the younger and so by definition the spoilt one. Many a BF when you don't get your own way I should imagine. Is your sis as musically gifted as you like to think you are? I picture a female Jedward, deadwood perhaps.
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

public enemy wrote:
Many a BF when you don't get your own way I should imagine. Is your sis as musically gifted as you like to think you are? I picture a female Jedward, deadwood perhaps.

Much of this bit I don't understand. I'll ignore it.

I am the younger one. Thanks for noticing. There's nothing more annoying than being asked who's the elder when she's 14 years my senior.

Yes, maybe the name I chose was much harsher. I crossed your line.
Where is the line by the way?

Where would it fit in this list:

giddy kipper
dozy duck
donkey
git
dickhead
bellend
arsehole
bastard
twat
fuck bucket
twat rash
wank stain
rancid rat faced cunt

Do you draw a line between git and dickhead? I imagine you do.
In my eyes, constant personal criticism is more damaging than name calling. I like the words above. I suppose I'm of the school of thought that swearing IS big and it IS clever. Juvenile I know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sultans Of Ping Forum Index -> Other Music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: