Sultans Of Ping Forum Index Sultans Of Ping
New forum for the band Sultans of Ping.
Please register and post so this becomes as popular as the old one.
Hosted by ping.fishtank.org.uk.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your favourite book thank you please
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sultans Of Ping Forum Index -> Everything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Your favourite book thank you please Reply with quote

What's your favourite book? I want something good to read, give me recommendations please.
My recent good reads include the Philip Pullman His Dark Materials trilogy, Joseph O'Connor - Star of the Sea and the very easy reading of Marianne Keynes - Anybody Out There or something like that.
Deirdre Barlow
Teenage Punk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Paul Burke's- Father Frank- a comedy about a priest who doesn't belive in God

Zadie Smith- White Teeth- (Whitbread Prize Winner)

Kenzo Ishiguro- Never Let me Go- (Booker Prize winner) about a school full of clones.

Lucia, Lucia- Andrea Trigiani -Ace

John B Keane- The Matchmakers

Paolo Coelio- Eleven Minutes

Nick Hornby- A long Way down

John Banville- The Sea

Anthony Capella- The Food of Love

Fergal Keane- Autobiography

Sorry......I'll stop now!! If you like Marion Keyes try Andrea Trigiani's Lucia, Lucia......or some Ceclia Aherne Smile....lovely relaxing books!!
public enemy
Stupid Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything by James Joyce, although it's not really easy reading.
Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist is very good, yes try that one. By the way loved his dark materials.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, will try some of them. Have read White Teeth and it is good as is A Long Way Down. Easy reads like Marion Keyes, excuse earlier spelling, have their place - but I'm in the mood for a bit more at the moment.
Will ebay some of those titles. What is your favourite Joyce book? Never read any of his. But you've reminded me of the Flann O'Brien books which are brilliant if anyone's interested.
Any more? I have a lovely long summer holiday approaching.
gareth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fave of all time as to be any of the Adrian Mole series. Still piss funny and they still hit the mark.

Try any of Iain Banks novels (not the SF stuff though written as Iain M. Banks), I would recommend his first and still one of my fave books The Wasp Factory. Some of the quotes by the critics on the inside covers are well harsh, but what do they know right. In my eyes one of the best debuts ever. Whit, Espedair Street or Dead Air are also quality.

Probably not up your street but my fave author of all time Sven Hassel's series of books set in WW2. Basically they are about a group of German Soldiers in a penal battallion, they are brutal yet touching. Their strength is in the tales of commaradary and the bond between the main characters. Check out Portas Kitchen or google Sven Hassel for more details. Brilliant

If you want some Non-fiction try:

Neil Strauss - The Game, Strauss became the worlds best PUA this is the story of how he did it
Neil Strauss - The Dirt, a book about MotleyCrue and best rock biography ever

Sorry Public Enemy but Paulo Coelho is fucking awful. He is without doubt one of the most overated writers going. The Alcemist is turgid bile and I wish I had not wasted the time I spent reading it. Don't do it Kelly Confused
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Def love the Adrain Mole books, but already read them. Will look into some of those others. Thanks, you all have hidden depths. Dee are you not going to recommend your book? What's it about? Go on!
Deirdre Barlow
Teenage Punk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a comedy about a Glitterball that falls on an Irish Elvis impersonator, and the way a group of biddies try to cure him; with poteen, religion, miraculous medals, dog saliva and Holy Water.....it's got a rival Indian impersonator called Patelvis and explores the ironies within the Catholic church, I guess- Its won a few prizes and has been published in 2 anthologies in England and Ireland and the National Press Embarassed ......but it's not as good as the other books I recommended!!! I'm only starting out!!!!! Embarassed
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised I want to read that! It sounds brilliant! Tell me what it's called please.
gareth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly if you ever get the chance to pick up any Dennis Wheatley books on the cheap do so.

They all basically have the same story and Wheatley himself was a middleclass conservative which comes across in both his characters and his use of language. To be fair though some of his ideas and generalisations were pre-eminnent in the period he wrote but are now out of date and would probably be clased as borderline rascist in todays culture. However most of the books are a cracking read and have huge doses of mysticism and adventure. The Satanists being the best of the lot.

Also he looks cracking in the author pic. Usually in some sort of smoking jacket, he was not the greatest of writers (still better then Dan Brown though) and most of the chapters ended on cliffhangers but he sold about 45 million books worldwide. You should at least read one of his novels if you can find one.
gareth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do I Dee, give us the details.
Deirdre Barlow
Teenage Punk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks- That's really nice of ye Embarassed It's called 'All That Glisters'

......although its probably as hard to find as 'Flyfishing,' by JR Heartly!!

...... but if you really want to read it I can send the original to your message thingy!

Last edited by Deirdre Barlow on Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please!
jmh
Stupid Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

off on my hols in five hours so far i'm taking, the lifegaurd by james patterson whom i love all of his books can't put them down usually mostly the crime thrillers alex cross series and the womens murder club. but like his si-fi stuff too, and once read one called suzanne's diary for nicolas, cryed like a baby it was proper girly mush.
i'm also taking adrain moles weapons of mass destruction love sue townsend. the queen and i always stick in my memory.
also to kill a mocking bird which i started to read two years ago but got side tracked by family crisis.
recomend life according to clackson - jeremy clarkson i hurt myself laughing at that last year.
daughters taking the magicians nephew. (shes only six so reacon i'm gonna be reading that again too).
adios
jmh
Stupid Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason that posted twice sorry Embarassed
public enemy
Stupid Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly wrote:
Thanks guys, will try some of them. Have read White Teeth and it is good as is A Long Way Down. Easy reads like Marion Keyes, excuse earlier spelling, have their place - but I'm in the mood for a bit more at the moment.
Will ebay some of those titles. What is your favourite Joyce book? Never read any of his. But you've reminded me of the Flann O'Brien books which are brilliant if anyone's interested.
Any more? I have a lovely long summer holiday approaching.

Dubliners is great and a nice introduction, you can pick up a new copy on ebay for couple of quid. Happy reading.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sultans Of Ping Forum Index -> Everything Else All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: